As we enter new arrangements for data sharing between the UK and EU, many organisations are struggling to make sense of the new regime. Brexit as well as the recent Schrems II decision are having an impact of data flows from the UK to the US and the EU.
Legal firm, Fenwick has produced a brief but timely guide to help organisations navigate these muddy and choppy waters. They outline 5 steps that companies can take now to maintain these data flows with the EU:
- Identify Key Exposure Areas by Developing and Updating Data Inventory and Records of Processing.
- Understand Scope and Create a Risk-Based Action Plan.
- Develop Approach and Pre-Prepared Answers for Responding to Third-Party Questionnaires.
- Train Sales Force and Other Internal Stakeholders.
- Streamline a Global Approach and Update Documents for Multiple Law Changes Simultaneously.
The guide’s authors elaborate on these points with practica advice on what organisations should be doing.