Legal experts RPC report that the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) is encouraging organisations to make use of its Regulatory Sandbox to experiment with new ways of managing data. The areas of focus for this call to participate are children’s privacy and data sharing. Participants will be able to draw on the ICO’s expertise in compliance and reduce the risks of working with personal data. For innovators building new products and services around personal data this offers a good opportunity to embed good practice in their business models from the outset.
The ICO outlines the benefits of taking part in the scheme:
- access to ICO expertise and support;
- increased confidence in the compliance of your finished product or service;
- a better understanding of the data protection frameworks and how these affect your business;
- being seen as accountable and proactive in your approach to data protection, by customers, other organisations and the ICO, leading to increased consumer trust in your organisation;
- the opportunity to inform future ICO guidance;
- supporting the UK in its ambition to be an innovative economy; and
- contributing to the development of products and services that can be shown to be of value to the public.